Human right to education
What is quality education and why is it a human right?
Quality education enables people to develop all of their attributes and skills to achieve their potential as human beings and members of society. In the words of the Delors Commission (UNESCO, 1996): “Education is at the heart of both personal and community development; its mission is to enable each of us, without exception, to develop all our talents to the full and to realize our creative potential, including responsibility for our own lives and achievement of our personal aims.”
- Quality education is a human right and a public good.
- Governments and other public authorities should ensure that a quality education service is available free to all citizens from early childhood into adulthood.
- Quality education provides the foundation for equity in society.
- Quality education is one of the most basic public services. It not only enlightens but also empowers citizens and enables them to contribute to the maximum extent possible to the social and economic development of their communities.
- Review what is a Quality education.