Equality in education: aims and goals of this campaign
“Unite for Quality Education – Better Education for a Better World”
Education International is uniting 30 million educators, together with partner organisations and all those that support the public provision of education around the world, to ensure that quality education for all remains at the top of the agenda for a sustainable, peaceful and prosperous future.
Despite economic, cultural and social differences, we are united in our call to put in place these essential elements of a global future:
- universal and free access to quality teachers,
- modern teaching tools and resources and
- supportive and safe environments for teaching and learning.
The goal of the Unite for Quality Education campaign is to raise awareness among governments, non-governmental and international organisations, financial institutions, community leaders and the general public:
- Of the critical role quality education plays in the development of the individual and society,
- Of the necessity to provide access to a quality education for every student,
- Of the fact that education must be the bedrock of any post -2015 development agenda,
- Of the work of EI and its affiliates and members on behalf of quality education and of the essential nature of the voice of teachers and their representatives in the development of national and international education policy.
Activating new partnerships for quality education
Unite for Quality Education seeks to involve all partners who believe that there is no success in education without the active involvement of teachers.
This includes elements of the burgeoning education technology business sector, which are invited to engage directly in working with teachers advocating for the development and deployment of tools that strengthen teaching and learning.
The impetus for this new engagement springs directly from the Policy Paper on Education approved at the 6th EI World Congress in Cape Town. Section VII notes that
“New information and communications technologies (ICT) provide exciting possibilities to enhance the quality of education” and that “These tools provide a rich and powerful resource for teachers to assist them with the teaching and learning processes…
“Moreover, technology should be harnessed as a tool for improving personal and professional development through the evolution of the relations between students themselves and between students and teachers and other education employees.”
As a first step in this direction, Education International has announced a partnership with Intel. Read the full story on the EI website.